Grim Reaper Finally Finished


Last year I bought a copy of the book Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden (NeedleNoodles on Ravelry, his site). Well in the last month or so I finally got around to crocheting again and completed my first project from the book.

The worst part of the project was actually his scythe. I printed it out with my Makerbot as a very rough shape, and then I sanded it so it was round and the blade had a good shape. Once that was done I painted it, and that’s where things went wrong. I have liquid Testors Dullcote in a bottle, which I’ve used with my airbrush before. Well the airbrush seemed like overkill so I decided to just brush it on manually.

The problem is that the dullcote leeches a purple like color out of the black paint. This means that dragging the brush from the black area to the grey of the blade caused purple streaks. When airbrushing the dullcote on there are no drip running, so I didn’t notice it.

I had to re-paint the blade a few times and re-dullcote it to get it to look good.

He’s very cute though. I’m working on another project right now, but I think I may make Cthulhu next. He was the reason I bought the book.