The Lumberjacks are Winning

I’m still working on ForestryService. I spent two hours last night trying to convert it to using a mutable vector instead of a list to keep track of the forest, but I couldn’t get all the monad stuff sorted out.

Tonight I switched to a non-mutable vector and had it running in about 10 minutes. When I turned optimization on the program flew until it got to image generation, which is still an issue. So with that solved I decided to try to track down my lumberjack bug.

It didn’t take too long. I added printouts to see how many lumberjacks there were at the start and end of each turn and quickly found the culprit. When a bear and a lumberjack collided and a mauling occurred I had the test backwards. I was removing the non-mauled lumberjacks and keeping the one who was supposed to be removed due to injury. One character change.

But that led to another issue, one which I thought might be a problem. We can end up with a couple of bears, but the number of lumberjacks quickly explodes. Within 25 years I have 1400 lumberjacks. At that size the list operations on lumberjacks (specifically finding if a square if free of other lumberjacks) absolutely dwarfs all other calculations in the program. I need to store them (and while I’m at it the bears) in sets. That would change my search from linear to log and should fix the issue. It will also make some of the tests cleaner since I don’t have to find intersections manually.

After that it’s back to the image code. I’m not sure if the problem is my pixel generation or the image library it’s self. I think it may be the integer division I’m doing to implement a basic scaling algorithm, but I haven’t profiled it since I switched to vectors.

Also I fixed all the spelling errors in the file. I can’t spell “forest.” I fixed it in the file and repo name before I first pushed ’em to github, but I didn’t touch all the variables and methods before.